Win streak ends at five as Titans fall 4 – 3 to Generals

Feb 21, 2021

Northeast’s Jake Hosszu scored with 5:15 remaining in the third period to give the Generals a 4 – 3 win over the Titans. The loss ended New Jersey’s five game winning streak, the team’s longest of the season.

Paul Minnehan gave Northeast a 1 – 0 lead just 5:30 into the first period. Evan Werner picked up the loose puck in his own end and sent a backhanded wrap around pass behind the end boards to Jack Karlsson. As the Titans defenseman started to skate up the far side boards, he was knocked off the puck by the Generals Brent Keefer. As Keefer skated to the corner, he made a centering pass out front and Minnehan redirected the puck past Louden Hogg for his third goal of the season.

At 6:13 into the opening period former Titan Max Bronstine was called for tripping to give New Jersey the man advantage. Seven seconds later Friday night’s star Jake Suede tied it for the Titans. After the ensuing faceoff was won by Suede, the puck went back to Tyler Nasca at the near side point. Nasca passed it over to Jack Ring at the top of the far side faceoff circle and Ring sent a cross-ice pass through the slot and Suede one-timed it past Northeast netminder Hugo Haas to make it a 1 – 1 game.

Northeast regained the lead just 1:08 after Suede had tied it. The Generals’ Ricky Boysen entered the offensive zone on a 3 – on – 2. As Boysen gained the line, he passed the puck to Hunter Olson on his right. As Olson started to skate towards the end boards, he made a centering pass out front and Jonathan Young stuck out his stick and redirected the puck past Hogg to make it 2 – 1.

Blake Humphrey tied the game with the Titans second powerplay goal of the evening. After Bronstine and Matthew Sutter were called for slashing and tripping penalties respectively, New Jersey had the 5 – on – 3 man advantage. After Evan Werner fanned on a shot, he picked up the loose puck and circled to the top of the slot. As Werner started to go towards the far side boards, he sent a cross-ice pass to Humphrey who took a one-timer that beat Haas short side for his fourth goal of the season.

The Titans took a 3 – 2 lead at 5:30 into the third period on Levente Keresztes’ fourth goal of the season. After a series of saves made by Haas, Matt Doyle picked up the loose puck along the far side boards and sent the biscuit down low to Stephen Willey who was behind the goal line but to the right of Haas. Willey passed it out to Keresztes and the Budapest, Hungary native took a wrist shot that beat Haas high, short side.

Midway through the third the Generals’ Dylan Schuett tied the game. After Schuett dumped the puck into the Titans zone, Hogg came out of his net to play it and he sent a wrap around pass up along the far side boards that was intercepted Alexander Tertyshny at the half wall. Tertyshny skated behind and around the New Jersey net and as he started to skate towards the faceoff circle, he passed it to Schuett in the slot and Schuett one-timed it passed Hogg for his seventh goal of the season.

Hauss scored his second goal of the season to close out the scoring. After bringing the puck into the Titans zone, he skated towards the bottom of the near side faceoff circle and waited for the play to develop. As teammates entered the offensive zone, Hauss took a sharp angle shot that beat Hogg short side for the game winner.

Hogg stopped 26 of 30 shots while Haas turned aside 36 of 39. Click here for the box score.

Next weekend the Titans will host the first place Johnstown Tomahawks for a two game series.